My fifth annual ranking for all the players this year - this year there were 23 players used over 22 shows, slightly down on last year in both respects.
Here's the stats on appearances this year.
Paul Merton 18
Gyles Brandreth, Tony Hawks 8
Julian Clary, Graham Norton 6
Sheila Hancock, Josie Lawrence, Sue Perkins, Rick Wakeman 4
Shappi Khorsandi 3
Pam Ayres, Marcus Brigstocke, Jenny Eclair, Stephen Fry, Fi Glover, Phill Jupitus, Miles Jupp, Ross Noble, Liza Tarbuck, Terry Wogan 2
Jason Byrne, Alun Cochrane, Russell Kane 1
So to my rankings.They won't be back next yearJason Byrne
- Patronised robustly by Nicholas, Jason was no good at the game and the rules just didn't suit his style of comedy.Fi Glover
- She seemed nice enough but a bit in awe of her big-mouthed competition.Miles Jupp
- Miles was very good at the game and even won the second show once he had warmed up, but didn't seem to have anything of interest to say when he did get the subject.Terry Wogan
- One of that list of people who were comnpletely abysmally bad at the game - stand up Elaine Stritch and Thora Hird - but were still very funny. Still the joke probably won't work again.They had some good momentsPam Ayres
- Pam's unique style didn't provide as many giggles as usual.Alun Cochrane
- Likeable and able to improvise in a reasonably amusing way without doing anything to suggest he'll be back soon.Shappi Khorsandi
- She seems nice and can be funny, but not often enough.Rick Wakeman
- Really good at the game but not strong in the humour department.About averageStephen Fry
- By his own high standards Stephen wasn't as funny as he has been on some of his other appearances. But still very good.Tony Hawks
- One of those long-serving players who is a reliable contributor but I feel he isn't as consistently good as he was a few years ago.Phill Jupitus
- A very funny man, he needs to appear more often to hone his JAM skills.Russell Kane
- Funny in his first appearance which he won. A possible future star or a one-off fluke? We will see, I hope.Liza Tarbuck
- Two of the best shows she has had though still not one of the funnier performers.Let's hear more of themGyles Brandreth
- Arguably the second banana on the show now to Paul, Gyles has clearly sharpened his style and is now original and competitive and very funny. I should have had him in my top group.Marcus Brigstocke
- Only two shows but was as funny as ever, we need to hear him more often.Jenny Eclair
- Very amusing and a great contributor, one of the best ever.Ross Noble
- Only did two shows and was warm and witty, but perhaps not at his brilliant best.Sue Perkins
- Quickly becoming one of those reliable people who we all enjoy seeing on the panel list.Stars of the year5th best - Graham Norton
- Close to his hillarious loquacious best.4th best - Josie Lawrence
- She gets better every time she is on and I think is a real star of the very near future.Bronze medal - Julian Clary
- Just fits in like a glove these days, always funny and great with the banter, and he knows how to play the game too.Silver medal - Sheila Hancock
- After 44 years on the show, Sheila may just about have been at her all-time best this year. Very funny and full of authority.Champion of the year - Paul Merton
- Still a champ and still the best player in just about every show.For those interested, here are my previous rankings... 2010 - click here for full commentary
They won't be back next year: Kevin Eldon, Dave Gorman, Fred MacAula, Liza Tarbuck, John Sergeant.
They had some good moments: Stephen K. Amos, Alun Cochrane, Shappi Khorsandi, Ian McMillan, David Mitchell.
About average: Pam Ayres, John Bishop, Charles Collingwood, Kit Hesketh-Harvey, Justin Moorhouse, Chris Neill.
Let's hear more of them: Sheila Hancock, Tony Hawks, Josie Lawrence, Graham Norton, Sue Perkins.
5th best - Julian Clary.
4th best - Jenny Eclair.
Bronze medal - Gyles Brandreth.
Silver medal - Ross Noble.
Champion of the year - Paul Merton.2009 - click for full commentary here.
They won't be back next year - Jack Dee, Janey Godley, Josie Long, Pauline McLynn, Mike McShane, Paul Sinha.
They had some good moments - Richard Herring, Josie Lawrence, Helen Lederer, Tim Rice, Liza Tarbuck, Suki Webster.
About average - Pam Ayres, Charles Collingwood, Sheila Hancock, Tony Hawks, Shappi Khorsandi, Chris Neill.
Let's hear more of them - Julian Clary, Jenny Eclair, Stephen Fry, Kit Hesketh-Harvey, David Mitchell, Justin Moorhouse.
5th best - Graham Norton.
4th best - Gyles Brandreth.
Bronze medal - Sue Perkins.
Silver medal - Paul Merton.
Champion of the year - Clement Freud.2008 - click here for full commentary.
They won't be back next year - Lynn Ferguson, Janey Godley, Shappi Khorsandi, Josie Lawrence, Liza Tarbuck.
They had some good moments - Chris Addison, Rhod Gilbert, Robin Ince, Ian McMillan,
Mike McShane, Owen O'Neill.
About average - Jack Dee, Dave Gorman, Kit Hesketh-Harvey, Phill Jupitus, Fred MacAulay, Chris Neill.
Let's hear more of them - Gyles Brandreth, Marcus Brigstocke, Jenny Eclair, Clement Freud, Tony Hawks.
5th best - Ross Noble.
4th best - Julian Clary.
Bronze medal - Graham Norton.
Silver medal - Sue Perkins.
Champion of the year - Paul Merton.2007 - click here for full commentary.
They won't be back next year - Jo Caulfield, Alun Cochrane, Maria McErlane, Pauline McLynn, Greg Proops.
They had some good moments - Jenny Eclair, Dave Gorman, Phill Jupitus, Maureen Lipman, Neil Mullarkey.
They're about average - Clement Freud, Tony Hawks, Kit Hesketh-Harvey, Fred MacAulay, Dara O'Briain, Tim Rice.
Let's see more of them - Chris Addison, Pam Ayres, Janey Godley, Graham Norton, Sue Perkins.
5th best - Chris Neill.
4th best - Julian Clary.
Bronze medal - Gyles Brandreth
Silver medal - Marcus Brigstocke.
Champion of the year - Paul Merton.