Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

June 16, 2011

bits of news

Four honours for JAM guests in the recent Queens Birthday Honours.

Graeme Garden was made an OBE. Graeme appeared in seven shows between 1975 and 1982, appearing with Clement Freud, Kenneth Williams, Peter Jones, Derek Nimmo, Sheila Hancock and Barry Cryer. I thought he was very funny, exchanging banter with Kenneth Williams. Graeme is still best known as the one of the stars of The Goodies, but has gone on to be an inventor of and regular on several panel games, including I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and more recently The Unbelievable Truth. I also enjoy watching him on If I Ruled The World - do a search for that on YouTube and watch him being incredibly funny.

Tim Brooke-Taylor was made an OBE. Tim appeared in three shows in 1979 and 1981, appearing with Kenneth Williams, Peter Jones, Barry Took, Clement Freud and Kenneth Robinson. He would have to be one of my absolute favourites of the short-term players, out-bantering Clement and Kenneth to win his debut show on his merits. Tim also is best known these days for The Goodies and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, but I used to enjoy him very much as a comic actor on Me And My Girl.

Bernard Cribbins was made an OBE. Bernard appeared in two shows in 1978, appearing with Kenneth Williams, Derek Nimmo and Sheila Hancock. One of the shows was included on Just A Classic Minute 6. Bernard wasn't a star at the game, but enjoyed having fun with the others and contributed to what were funny shows. He's done many different things, including Carry Ons, The Wombles and Doctor Who. But I often think of him in a very funny part in an eppy of Fawlty Towers.

Emma Freud was made an OBE. Emma appeared on one show in 1990, appearing with Clement Freud, Derek Nimmo and Tim Rice. It was a cute show with her father refusing to challenge her or disagree with her challenges against him. Her award is mainly for her charity work with Comedy Relief but she had had her own varied comedy career especially on radio.

The other bit of news - JAM's two Edinburgh recordings were among the first three shows to sell out when ticket sales opened! So if you haven't got in already, you may be unlucky. Of course JAM is also among the cheaper shows...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home