Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

April 26, 2008

Humph - RIP

Humphrey Lyttelton, jazz musician and long-time chairman of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue has died at the age of 86.

Humph's unique style of chairmanship, which involved disdain for the show, and deadpan delivery of bad puns and terribly rude double entendres, was just right for Clue and without doubt contributed hugely to the success of the show which remains something of a cult classic despite the death of its funniest star, Willie Rushton, 12 years ago.

Humph was brilliantly talented across many spheres, not just in comedy, but as a broadcaster, a cartoonist, a writer and of course a jazz musician. Tributes today are calling him a giant in jazz.

A loveable, witty, brilliant man. He will be much much much missed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi
Humph was a gem of a man.
I was a friend of Humph's for 25 years and he actually agreed, to my complee amazement, to be special guest on my debut harmonica album " Building Dreams".
My website for the album is at:- http://www.barrybwm.plus.com
That one act of kindness completely changed my life.
I am known worldwide now via the website and have Humph' to thank for it.
RIP Humph.
I will miss you.
Barry Watson.
Westerham, Kent.

8:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home