Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

March 04, 2009

JAM on Wikipedia

I've been on Wikipedia for a while, mainly lurking. This was because on arrival I essentially rewrote a page and then found the crowds gathered to assure me what a shit job I'd done. Looking back, I can understand why, but at the time it hurt.

Anyway I've gradually grown in confidence and I really do appreciate Wikipedia these days. I like the culture of "assume good faith" and the attempts to stop incivility. I still think some people fire from the hip, but people are people and things seems to work out in the end.

Anyway I've avoided the JAM page because a quick look at it once found it full of nonsense. But I'm now using the Wikipedia to update the cast biographical sections on my own website (I'm just adding things to my section, not copying Wikipedia) so thought in return I'd tidy up all the cast pages and the main page.

I think the JAM page there is now looking a bit better. I added in a cast list which seems encyclopeadic. It's different to my site but I think still useful. I also tidied up what was there while keeping most of it. After all any Wikipedia venture is a joint one. Anyway I think it's not a bad summary of the show now.

I'd like to add in a short quotes section though. Any great quotes you can remember from JAM over the years, let me know and I'll add them in. (Or maybe add them yourself - anyone can edit it.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One quote springs to mind immediately.

On being buzzed for deviation, Julian Clary retorts 'But that's what I do!'

2:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be able to actually start a page at WikiQuote (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Main_Page) if you have enough quotes. You can then link to that on Wikipedia.

7:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I plan to look it over well, as I am a true fan of the show.

I consider Wikipedia to be about as reliable as the information I might pick up at a party (unless it has been properly referenced).

I started a page on a musician and found it undisturbed until he died. Then they came out of the woodwork and took a dump all over it.

Now I'm sticking to the long-deceased.

DavidinBerkeley

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home