Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

May 16, 2009

season numbering

I'm occasionally asked why I have more series (57) than the official BBC number (54).

The answer is I don't know. It has been a minor annoyance when the number of series was something just occasionally mentioned by on-air presenters.

But the BBC website seems to be making quite a lot of season numbering and I think there is a real possibility of confusion.

The only explanation I can think of for the difference is the three instances in the early to mid 1980s when they recorded shows but split them over two periods. In 1982, seasons 16 and 17, in 1983, seasons 18 and 19, and in 1984 and 1985, seasons 20 and 21. For the most part (though not uniformly) the shows in the second season are the second recordings from the first.

I've felt that as there was a fair bit of time in between the seasons, it made sense to separate them.

But I now feel it would be better to have the same number of seasons as the "official" count.

I'm therefore going to change it - I apologise if this means you have to renumber some of your collection, but I hope you can see my reasoning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home