Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

August 25, 2016

JAM's future

As we all know JAM is approaching the major milestone of its 50th anniversary. In the past the BBC has marked these anniversaries at the beginning of the year so maybe we are just a few months from the anniversary being marked at the beginning og 2017.

I think though that the controversy over Clement Freud's past as a sexual predator is going to make marking the anniversary very difficult. I will be surprised if there are many more clip shows or classic CD releases simply because the BBC will not be able to rerun shows featuring Clement. I think the most likely thing is a show where the anniversary is mentioned in a low-key sort of way, probably without mentioning the show's most frequent panellist.

I am wondering too if once the show is marked, if we might well find the show will be retired. I have no inside information at all, but to me anyway, the show is not as good as it once was, and with Nicholas in his mid 90s it just seems like the 50th year might be a good time to call it to an end.

What do you think?

8 Comments:

Blogger nylon said...

It would be sad indeed if Auntie turned the JAM birthday into euthanasia.

I think Nic is actually more entertaining and in control now than he has been for 45 years.

Mark

3:35 pm  
Blogger Bill said...

Yeah I disagree. It is still great. They still get fresh blood on there. I think it's as strong as ever.

8:45 pm  
Blogger EspenK said...

It can't be cancelled - at least try a new chairman first! I vote for Tony!

10:49 pm  
Blogger nylon said...

Gyles for chairman. He would love it.

12:41 am  
Anonymous Lolster said...

If you think about it, the last reports over the clement Freud sexual abuse scandal were months ago. They have sort of slipped off the radar of many news stations including the BBC. When Jimmy Savile was also found to be a sexual predator, the media was huge about, this isn't. This suggests the media don't think it is true

6:30 pm  
Blogger Porochaz said...

I think they will maybe celebrate it later in the year, probably celebrate it with some more modern shows. Maybe do another tv series (hopefully). I can't see them cancelling it completely, especially since the show has really been little to do with Clement for a long time.

1:20 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Show shouldn't end with the 50th anniversary series. The unfortunate Clement Freud business really shouldn't ruin JAM. It is far bigger than just Clement. I agree that the show isn't as good as it was, but players like Paul Merton and Gyles Branderith are so good that the following is still big.

10:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a relative newcomer to JAM, approx. the last 8 years , although have caught earlier episodes on BBCradio. I really enjoy it, it is when you think about it quite a cheap and popular show to make, virtually no scripts and little in the way of much preproduction...I cant see the BBC cancelling even if (I hope not!) Nicholas leaves.

One point it maybe that apart from Paul Merton (which I love) there aren't many regulars as there once were...and could bounce off each other, I think they experiment with too many new faces (maybe a need to due to other commitments)...don't get me wrong I like new people but maybe best kept to one a series....also there are more comedians instead of more 'characters' ie Kenneth Williams (in the early years) or the underused Pam Ayres or Gyles and indeed Ross Noble which although a comedian seems to shine. just a few thought :) .....Marie

10:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home