Just A Minute blog

A blog on the BBC radio programme Just A Minute

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

December 29, 2006

Lovely piece on the gorgeous Sheila Hancock

from The Independent

The 5-Minute Interview: Sheila Hancock

Sheila Hancock, 73, who plays Frau Schneider in 'Cabaret' at the Lyric, is starring in 'After Thomas', starting tonight on ITV.

If I weren't talking to you right now, I'd be...

Putting hot and cold compresses on my back. It's not very glamorous I'm afraid. I pulled a muscle.

I wish people would take more notice of...

Spatial awareness. Especially when turning round wearing rucksacks. I wish they would be aware that I'm standing there and not send me flying. And doing front crawl in a crowded swimming pool - they should not even attempt the backstroke.

The most surprising thing that ever happened to me was...

Prancing around in Cabaret instead of watching the telly with a cup of Ovaltine. And the fact that I'm still alive today. I imagined I was going to die at 70 because that's the age my parents did. I've managed three years - I'm on borrowed time.

A common misperception of me is...

I've no idea. I suspect it's different according to my relationship with them, i.e. my daughters do not know the workplace me.

I'm not a politician, but ...

I'd think about scrapping the whole male-orientated, adversarial system and starting again with something that works.

I'm good at...

Being a grandmother.

But I'm very bad at ...

Being a domestic earth mother - I can't cook, clean or arrange flowers. And bullshitting - I'm too outspoken. I get into an awful lot of trouble for not being polite. I cannot pass by seeing a child shouted at, and people dropping litter. I'm terrible for intervening. There's nothing worse than busybodies like me. I should learn to mind my own business. I'm not good at saying, "I hope you don't mind me saying, but ..."

My ideal night out is...

A night in. I only have one night free - Sunday - and prefer to stay in. I'm providing nights out for others every other night.

At moments of weakness, I...

Cry a lot. Or go to bed. Chocolate is a disaster for me. I can't just eat one chocolate, I do have to eat the whole box and then vomit. Occasionally I drink as well, but not very often nowadays.

You know me as an actress but, in a truer life, I'd have...

Been in the legal profession - a barrister, which is like being an actor, I suppose. In the old days I'd like to have been a politician, when I think the world was more idealistic. When I was young I did a lot of campaigning.

The best age to be is...

I'm a realist. I intend it to be the one I am.

In a nutshell, my philosophy is...

It changes day by day - a day at a time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home